Tuesday, March 3, 2009

portrait of a 5 year old

Abby just celebrated her 5th birthday with great pomp and circumstance. I forget sometimes that she is just 5... she often seems to be the older of my two children, a result I think, of women being inately more mature than men!

Forget that she still writes her Bs and Ds backwards. Forget that she counts up to forty-eleven. She is wise beyond her years from a social perspective, and the maturity that she demonstrates, the good will towards others is nothing short of lovely.

She comes in this package... the curly red hair designed to distract you.... the blue eyes and freckles meant to charm and persuade you... the million dollar smile that, well, seals the deal. And then she speaks, and her words are often as lovely as the rest of her. Her intentions are kind and generous. Her actions (ok, this one has to have a mostly in it...) are mostly gentle and loving.

At 5, she reads. She colours inside the lines, and with great detail. She tells stories with details you can't begin to imagine. At 5, she's made friends, lost friends, and made more friends. She's had a broken heart (she continues to pine for her best friend Olivia), and she's been engaged more times than I can count (I think Dylan is the current fiance... not sure if he's in agreement or not!) She can almost ride a two-wheeler without training wheels, and she can almost swim without a life jacket.

She was given money for her birthday, which like most little people was burning a hole in her pocket this morning. She used it to buy a Webkinz for her brother.

I like her a great deal. Which is a gift.
I love her even more.

1 comment:

rab said...

Women are innately more mature than men? When did that start?