Monday, December 29, 2008

me too

"What about my picture / outfit / eating / shoes?" Common phrases from my sweet daughter these days. Seems that if either Dan or I say anything nice or complimentary about any other child, she seems to feel that it takes away from her.

It's interesting, because she is so good at everything. Well, everything except video games (which is just fine with me!). And we praise her for all her accomplishments.

I wonder sometimes if her need for equal praise is a result of living with Max (and us!). There certainly used to be an imbalance of praise and reinforcement in our house. And if I'm being honest, an imbalance in attention, too. It wasn't that way for a long time, but obviously long enough to make an impression.

Making up for the past is a challenge. We can't take back (nor would we) the attention and support that we gave Max, but perhaps we could have shared it more. Please don't read this as regret - as I've said, I wouldn't change it - afterall, look where we are now!

But I hope to show my girl how spectacular she is, and I plan to waste no time doing it.

No comments: